Ride to Tilstock/Whixall (CMF/U)
The destination of this ride has been changed – Alderford Lake cafe takeaway itself might have been nice, but weekends are now pretty busy & they have also started a Sunday market, so in hindsight we’ll skip it.
We’ll still go up to Tilstock, but no further – stop at Morris’ Bridge by Whixhall Moss Nature Reserve (lift bridge over the Shropshire Union canal c. 1800) where we could have a picnic whilst watching the bridge being lifted up & down (hopefully it’ll be left down for us to get back across!). Alternatively, or as well as (& only if people want) we can then call in to Whixall Marina outdoor cafe for a cup of tea/cake etc. We’ll also pass some odd named places: Brickwalls, Welsh End, Ladywell.
The route is 45 miles long & flat to undulating, but (to head off any legal complaints about mis-selling!) there will be one very short section of hill up into Clive.
Fingers crossed the Whixall triangle (akin to the Bermuda triangle) doesn’t strike again, causing disruption to navigation systems & the appearance of phantom white horses!
- Sunday Cruisers Group rules: – Updated as at 1st May 2021 (coming out of Lockdown-3)
These summarise & interpret Cycling UK’s latest policy dated 23rd Apr 2021. Everyone riding has the responsibility to comply, in order to meet their own & the group’s legal obligations, & for CUK Ride Leader & the individual’s insurance to remain valid.
• Screening: Don’t attend if showing symptoms
• Group size: individual group max of 15 riders (using Cycling UK’s organised sports exemption to the rule of 6)
• Meeting point: Maintain 2m social distancing & segregation should be in distinct groups adhering to the rule of 6
• Sign-on process: Ride Leader to complete sign-on sheet
• New Riders: provide contact details (name/mobile#/email address) for Track&Trace
o Ride Leader will wherever possible avoid busy areas, paths, joint cyclist/pedestrian lanes
o Routes into Wales can now be used
• Food: Sandwiches still preferred, but planned outdoor café stops can be used
• Stops: 11’s & lunch in quiet/open locations. If a café used, try to make sure that all riders will be comfortable using it & that an alternative picnic location is available for those who choose not to use it. Note: segregation is required back to distinct groups adhering to the rule of 6
• Social distancing: ideally 2m but minimum 1m plus – avoid bunching/pelotons – avoid slipstreaming – avoid shouting (Ride Leader may intervene if blatant/continuous disregard for safety)
• Main roads: split into smaller sub-groups (for easier overtaking)
• Emergency/Injury: minimise contact; wear mask/plastic gloves (dispose afterwards); don’t share equipment/tools; call ambulance immediately rather than assessing injuries (unless obviously minor)
• Track&Trace: Ride Leader to provide BSM (Sunday Cruisers Rides Co-Ordinator) subsequently with the sign-on details (not the form) – names of regulars sufficient; BSM to collate & provide full details to MW (Club’s Coronavirus Officer) within 48 hours
• Other: use common sense
For further info on group riding under Covid-19, please refer to CUK’s website for full advice & guidance:
and for general information: