* CANCELLED * Ride to Frodesley (CMU)
***** CANCELLED DUE TO LOCKDOWN 3 *****
The majority of these winter routes will be over decent wider roads, avoiding poor surfaces, muddy lanes & flood-water etc.
There will be a minimum of stopping & the lunch stop will be a quick sandwich stop, so hopefully back on the outskirts of Shrewsbury for around 2:00/2:30 (but it’ll be a good idea to bring lights just in case we have any unforseen delays).
Don’t forget it’s a 10:30am start in the square, to hopefully allow the weather to warm up a tad (can we make it prompt please!).
- Sunday Cruisers Group rules: – Updated as at 31st Dec 2020 (for Shropshire & Telford&Wrekin being Tier-3)
These summarise & interpret Cycling UK’s latest policy dated 24th Dec 2020. Everyone riding has the responsibility to comply, in order to meet their own & the group’s legal obligations, & for CUK Ride Leader & the individual’s insurance to remain valid. Please pay particular attention to the section about the route through Telford&Wrekin area.
• Screening: Don’t attend if showing symptoms
• Group size: individual group max of 6 riders (by law), but multiple groups permitted
• Meeting point: Extra & obvious distancing between riders (suggest 4m)
• Sign-on process: Ride Leader to complete sign-on sheet; allocate riders to Group#1 (faster riders) or Group#2; issue armbands to Group#2 – wear on right arm (washed/sanitised between rides) – these provide external visibility of the different groups; allocate experienced Group#2 rider (preferably a Ride Leader) as it’s Navigator & provide a copy of the route along with route’s pre-assessed risk factors
• New Riders: provide contact details (name/mobile#/email address) for Track&Trace
o Ride Leader will wherever possible avoid busy areas, paths, joint cyclist/pedestrian lanes; simple route to aide Group#2’s follow-on/navigation
o The ride can cross from Shropshire’s Tier-3 area into Telford & Wrekin’s Tier-3 area, but as these are identified as separate authorities by the government for covid-19 purposes, then there must be no stopping for any sort of break in the Telford & Wrekin Tier-3 area.
As the boundary between the two authorities is not something people naturally consider & as it comes very close to Shrewsbury, then as a quick guide, anything from these “boundary villages” eastwards, is Telford & Wrekin:
North of the A5 these are: Charlton, Walcot, Rodington, Somerwood, Roden, Poynton, Poyton Green, Walton, Osbaston, Rowton, Ellerdine, Ellerdine Heath
South of the A5 these are: Blue Bell, Aston, Little Wenlock, Coalbrookdale, Ironbridge, Jackfield, Coalport
(although further eastwards again, Sherrifhales, Shifnal, The Wyke, Kemberton & Sutton Maddock are in Shropshire).
o Wales Reg 9 prohibits leisure cycling from England into Wales whether singly or in a group
• Food: Sandwiches only/No café stops
• Stops: 11’s & lunch in quiet/open locations
• Segregation: Riders remain in their allocated Group at all times; Groups must not come into contact with one another on the road (as a guide, suggest 300m or 1 minute as a minimum); Groups must retain segregation at 11’s & lunch stop; Back Marker of each group should keep the group reasonably compact so that it can be seen to be two distinct groups (rather than one in “washing line” formation)
• Social distancing: ideally 2m but minimum 1m plus – avoid bunching/pelotons – avoid slipstreaming – avoid shouting (Ride Leader may intervene if blatant/continuous disregard for safety)
• Main roads: split into smaller sub-groups (for easier overtaking)
• Emergency/Injury: minimise contact; wear mask/plastic gloves (dispose afterwards); don’t share equipment/tools; call ambulance immediately rather than assessing injuries (unless obviously minor)
• Track&Trace: Ride Leader to provide BSM (Sunday Cruisers Rides Co-Ordinator) subsequently with the sign-on details (not the form) – names of regulars sufficient; BSM to collate & provide full details to MW (Club’s Coronavirus Officer) within 48 hours
• Other: use common sense
For further info on group riding under Covid-19, please refer to CUK’s website for full advice & guidance:
and for general information: